YWCA San Antonio understands that to empower all women fully, we must take intentional steps to eliminate the barriers faced by women of color. YWCA San Antonio understands that racism is a public health crisis contributing to the disenfranchisement of all women. Our goal is to address these barriers with care, compassion, and confidence in the services we provide our community.
The Racial Justice Institute (RJI) exists to achieve racial justice and healing through:
- Narrative change – changing the conversation through greater awareness and understanding of race and gender
- Behavior and practice change – empowering individuals to advocate for themselves; empowering organizations and companies to change to support individuals, especially women, of color
- Systemic change – advocating for policy reforms to support individuals, especially women, of color.
- Racial Justice – creating community collaborations that address, challenge, and dismantle systemic racism that prohibits the upward trajectory of women of color and their families, as well as comprehensive training, summits, and healing opportunities
- Economic Justice – freedom for women, especially women of color, through economic self-sufficiency based on wage equity, housing, and workforce development, which includes childcare
- Health Equity- access to high-quality health information and care, including mental health, maternal health, and domestic violence prevention
To accomplish this goal, YWCA of San Antonio aims to eliminate racism and empower women by utilizing our services through our Racial Justice Institute.
Our Racial Justice Institute exists to serve San Antonio in the following ways:
Racial Justice Education and Advocacy: Our Racial Justice Education and Advocacy program’s primary goal is to support our community by providing the following services and products.
To learn more click ===> here.
- Racial Justice Glossary
- Racial Profiling Checking
- Other Resources
- 2023 Multicultural Guide
- Virtual Library
For a presentation deck, please reach out to Misty Harty email@example.com
Racial Justice Reading List: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/faculty-research/library-knowledge-services/collections/diversity-inclusion-belonging/anti-racist
Implicit Bias Test: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/index.jsp
The YWCA San Antonio Multicultural Guide was a laborious passion project on behalf of the Racial Justice and Gender Equity Institute.
In order to better serve our community, we must educate ourselves about the multicultural body of San Antonio. Culture can be defined by a number of aspects such as food, language, religion, fine arts, etc. Most importantly, culture is the sociological bond between groups of people. YWCA San Antonio strives to provide the materials in order for individuals to reconnect with their cultural bonds. This multicultural guide is made to serve a broad audience.
Advocacy and Research
RACISM IS A PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS. READ OUR LETTER OF SUPPORT FOR THE CITY OF SAN ANTONIO RESOLUTION HERE –> READ FULL LETTER